The Churches of Revelation
In Which Group Do you Abide?
I’ve been reading Revelation yet once again seeking understanding from the Holy Spirit. In Chapters 2 and 3, Jesus Christ addresses the seven churches, which are representative of the spiritual state of all of God’s children. (churches=called out ones, 7=completion) Some are called Synagogue of Satan and Satan’s throne; those who are following self-will instead of God thus allowing Satan to be on the throne in their lives. 1 John 5:19, Eph 2:2 Some are warned that their lampstand will be removed; the Holy Spirit which is the oil to their lamp or soul. Matthew 25:29 Then there are the rewards for those who truly are abiding in the light, Truth. These are some powerful images that we would be wise to examine our relationship with God by and heed their instruction as God’s children.
While reading through these chapters, I made two lists – one describing the lives of those who overcome and abide in peace with God and one describing the lives of those who are lost in the deception and lies and suffer for it. The lists don’t contain every detail of these chapters – but it was an enlightening practice. I strongly suggest meditating on these chapters as these truths are now manifesting.
The Overcomers …
- Eat of the tree of life (Rev 2:7) = They feast on God’s truth which is growing and dwelling in them, changing them and manifesting abundant life to all areas of their lives.
- Are not hurt by second death (Rev 2:11) = they have eternal life now and are spiritually alive; thus their flourishing lives testify to their spiritual life.
- Are given hidden manna (Rev 2:17) = they are learning deep truths of God that are taught to them by God Himself and not another human; truths that haven’t been revealed until this time.
- Have power over the nations (Rev 2:26) = they have spiritual power over the enemy and their prayers affect the nations and that power continues to grow. In the regeneration, they will rule with Christ. (Rev 11:5-6, 20:4, John 14:12)
- Are given the Morning Star (Rev 2:28) = The Spirit of God dwells within them bringing a true transformation inside and out. (2 Peter 1:19)
- Given white garments (Rev 3:5) = they have the righteousness of God, demonstrated by growing in obedience to God’s will in all things because of His Spirit is growing in them.
- Are confessed by Jesus Christ before God and the angels (Rev 3:5) = Jesus stands in their place as their reconciliation to God as their High Priest because He knows them. (Matthew 7:22-23)
- Are saved from the hour of trial that is coming upon the earth. (Rev 3:10) = Are kept in peace and protection while the world faces tribulation. (Psalm 91:10, John 14:27)
- Are pillars in temple of God (Rev 3:12) = their lives have been built upon the truth of God (Eph 2:19-22), so God’s spirit can dwell and grow within them.
- Take part of the New Jerusalem of Heaven (Rev 3:12) = their “church” is God’s temple made without hands, the New Jerusalem, which is their souls.
- Dine with Christ (Rev 3:20) = the fountain of life dwells in them because they continually feast on the bread of life which is Christ, the Truth.
- Sit on the throne with Christ (Rev 3:21) = they are among the first fruits with Christ as a part of His body, they are where He is, thus separate from this world and it’s ways.
Those Who Fall …
- Left first love. (Rev 2:4) = They do many “good” works, but neglect one-on-one fellowship with God on a regular basis, which without this their “good works” have nothing to stand on. (Matthew 7:22-23)
- Have their lamp stand removed (Rev 2:5) = Holy Spirit, light and truth of God, taken from them and darkness prevails. (Matthew 25:29)
- Heed the doctrine of demons, false doctrines, believing them to be truth. (Rev 2:14) = They lack a love for the truth so they can’t discern the holy from the profane, thus they are misguided into believing lies. (2 Thess 2:10)
- Operate in the likeness of Jezebel (Rev 2:20) = They tolerate, compromise, and overlook false doctrines and principles among God’s people that leads them away from God’s truth and will, thus into greater fear, angst and suffering.
- Are going through great tribulation in their lives. (Rev 2:22) = They are suffering great hardship and bondage in their lives from their self-will and giving into deception governed by evil.
- Believe they are alive, but are in truth are spiritually dead (Rev 3:1) = they act according to the flesh life and not the spirit; thus there is no power real power of God flowing through their lives, though God continues for a time to extend His mercy to them.
- Are non-repentant in the depths of their soul in surrendering their self-will to God. (Rev 3:3) = These continue to accept or live in sin (anything contrary to God’s will) and live their lives by their own will and judgment of goodness. For some, Christ’s sacrifice serves as an excuse for sin. They aren’t being transformed glory unto glory. No spiritual growth.
- Will have Christ comes upon them as a thief (Rev 3:3) = being fleshy minded and taught, they will not know when Christ is returning, unlike those of the Day, who will know because they are of the Day. (1 Thess 5:4)
- Don’t buy truth from Christ. (Rev 3:18) = They aren’t His disciples learning from His Holy Spirit directly, but disciples of mankind, thus they buy from the beast. (Rev 13:17, Matthew 25:9)
Revelation is a huge puzzle that is decoded by the Holy Spirit and by the rest of the Bible, not human intellect. It’s layered with imagery and depths of meaning. I feel the time is upon us, when God is unveiling this book in much deeper layers to those who seek Him in Truth, because the time for it to be manifested is dawning upon us.
Mark 7:16 “If anyone has ears to hear, let him hear!”
October 31, 2011 at 2:43 pm
(Rachel, it was nice getting two
posts from you last week.)
if any one hath an ear — let him hear:
if any one a captivity doth gather, into captivity he doth go away;
if any one by sword doth kill, it behoveth him by sword to be killed;
here is the endurance and the faith of the saints.
an image to the beast that hath the stroke
Rev 8:12 A third of the sun was struck.
As a scorpion when it (striketh) a man.
(their power was to hurt)
October 31, 2011 at 2:53 pm
Revelation 9:5. Their torment was like the torment of a scorpion when it (strikes) a man.
October 31, 2011 at 3:20 pm
where love is you can always find a rhyme,
and where love is things are swinging all the time.
November 1, 2011 at 9:09 am
Thanks for your comments Glenn … good verses.
October 31, 2011 at 8:13 pm
This was really good, Rachel. Really relevant to what is happening now, in us and around us. I see an increase in some . . .an increase awareness, a new intensity to what they are learning, doing , sharing. His Word is coming out stronger and purer. More undiluted.
God bless you as you keep going to His word and sharing what He reveals.
November 1, 2011 at 9:11 am
Hi Debbie – when you truly start to see beyond the web of lies that pervades every aspect of our society … it is astounding and the level and intensity of deception. The Holy Spirit is so faithful to open our eyes to see when we seek to truly know.
November 1, 2011 at 2:40 am
If the Church of Jesus Christ embraced the Revelation of Jesus Christ with the same intensity that it does for the 4 Gospels of Jesus Christ, Rachel, how very different things would be. Thanks for bringing the clear distinctions between those overcoming versus those falling … it comes down to choices, doesn’t it?
November 1, 2011 at 9:12 am
Hi Roger – it truly comes down to seeking to know Truth from God, not man. What a gift to of faith to have this desire to seek to know Him, knowing He is a rewarder of those who diligently seek Him.
November 1, 2011 at 6:15 am
Excellent concise review. The message of Revelation is beginning to resonate with many in the body of Christ during this time.
November 1, 2011 at 9:13 am
Hi Lynn – I’m learning that once we experience a truthin our lives, that is when we truly learn it – so it makes since that more would be understanding Revelation as it is now unfolding.
November 1, 2011 at 8:16 am
Oh so true Rachel! May we be the overcomers. I am praying your lists into my life an the life of the church God has placed me in! Thanks.
November 1, 2011 at 9:14 am
Hi Jelillie – yes, may we pray that many spirits come to abide in the truth, a tremendous prayer.
November 26, 2011 at 11:44 am
Hey Rachel &congregation, wardeldon. May I put up some sign post as to the direction the Spirit is going with this subject? the book of Revelation is an explanation of the great image in Nebuchadrezzar’s dream. -preachers speak from their imagination: chosen delutions from God. We must study in Spirit: combinding all scripture to the point that none is cancel out. Still, only those asking God for wisdom will have truth: Peter speaking what only the Holly Spirit could reveal, makes him a member of Jesus’ church. -Jesus(who can stand on water with confidence?) &Gabriel explaned the great image through the legs. Iron, says the feet &toes are still part of a conecting system. seven toes/nations/churches carried the testimony of Jesus foreward(seven western European nations). was ten; three completely destroyed; the last destroyed in the year that the son of perdition rose. However, there will again be ten toes in the DAY of the LORD! “you will understand it clearly in the later days” -History &curent events tell of fulfilled prophesy! Miss Rachel, I pray the Lord give you words that others may be able to track the Spirit!
November 28, 2011 at 9:51 am
Hi Wardeldon – thanks for your thoughts on this. Totally agree that true understanding comes from Holy Spirit and not men.
December 5, 2011 at 5:42 pm